Old Catalogue
Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5
Try the new catalogue. Start exploring now ›

Details



Print
947986
  • Title
    Archdeacon James Gunther papers, 1826-1878
  • Creator
  • Call number
    A 1450
    B 503
    B 504
    B 505
    C 136
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    1826-1878
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    947986
  • Issue Copy
    Microfilm : CY 872, frames 251-546 (B 504)
    Microfilm : CY 980, frames 312-687 (B 505)
    Microfilm : CY 872, frames 547-862 (A 1450)
    Partly Digitised : C 136
  • Physical Description
    5 volumes of textual material - manuscript
  • ADMINISTRATIVE/ BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY

    William James Gunther (1839-1918), Anglican clergyman, was born on 28 May 1839 at Wellington, New South Wales, son of Rev. James William Gunther and his wife Lydia, née Paris. His father, a German-born missionary, had a long and distinguished career in the Mudgee district and was an archdeacon of the diocese of Bathurst when he died in 1880. In 1852-57 William was educated at The King's School, Parramatta, where he won three scholarships, and at Queen's College, Oxford (B.A., 1862; M.A., 1865). He was made deacon in 1863 by the bishop of Chester, ordained priest by the bishop of Lichfield in 1864 and Bishop Frederic Barker secured him a curacy at Stapenhill, Derbyshire. In 1865 Gunther returned to Sydney and on 1 January 1866 was licensed as curate of St Philip's Church, where he won Barker's commendation. In 1868-1909 he was incumbent of the old and important parish of St John, Parramatta. In 1868 he joined the committee of management which aided George Macarthur in reviving The King's School. Later he helped to associate the school with the diocesan synod, and remained on its council and other school committees for many years. When the local denominational school closed, he converted it into St John's Grammar School and prepared pupils for entry to The King's School. From 1883 he was a fellow of St Paul's College, University of Sydney.

    Gunther's activity in education was a part of his involvement in the affairs of the diocese. He had become an episcopal examining chaplain in 1868 and rural dean of Parramatta in 1870. In 1875 he was secretary of the provincial synod and in 1877 was made a canon of St Andrew's Cathedral; meanwhile he became an active member of many diocesan organizations.

    In addition to his administrative duties and membership of a wide variety of religious bodies, Gunther was a prominent ecclesiastical historian. He wrote pamphlets and articles on St John's Church, The King's School, Samuel Marsden and early Australian church history. His results were sometimes uncritical but he did invaluable work in preserving old books and records. He was president of the (Royal) Australian Historical Society in 1906 and began the systematic study of Sydney's Anglican history.

    Reference:
    Australian Dictionary of Biography Online. http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunther-william-james-3680 (accessed 24 July, 2013)
  • Scope and Content
    A 1450
    Correspondence and notes on Aborigines, 1826-1878

    B 503
    Lectures and sermons, 1845-1865

    B 504
    Journal, 1836-1841, 1865

    B 505
    Lecture on the Aborigines of Australia and papers on Wirradhurrei dialect, 1837-1840

    C 136
    The Native Dialect Wirradurri spoken in the Wellington District, 1838
  • Language
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright:
    Please acknowledge: : Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
  • Description source

    Information transferred from Short Catalogue (typed) as part of the eRecords Project, 2011-2012
  • General note

    Microfilm : CY 936, frames 350 - 515 (C 136)
  • Subject
  • Browse collection hierarchy
  • Manuscript Index
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Share this result by email