Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5
We have released a preview of our new catalogue which is ready for your testing and feedback. Start exploring now ›

Details



Print
1133814
  • Title
    Camden village, Sydney in 1842, showing Kirkham windmill and the Cowpastures ; Bridge and the village of Camden in 1842 / attributed to Thomas Woore
  • Call number
    V/289
    V/290
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    1842
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    1133814
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    2 drawings - pencil on paper - 22.5 x 41.5 cm (image) on 30.5 x 50 cm (paper)
  • ADMINISTRATIVE/ BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY

    John Oxley was granted 600 acres by Governor Macquarie and increased to 1000 acres in 1815. He named his estate Kirkham after his birthplace in Yorkshire.
    Cowpastures Bridge opened in 1827 and was designed by a convict named Wainwright.

    References:

    http://www.camdenhistory.org.au/ (Accessed 3.10.14)
  • Scope and Content
    Two pencil drawings on paper.

    V/289

    Camden village, Sydney in 1842, showing Kirkham windmill and the Cowpastures. Undated, unsigned.

    V/290

    Bridge and the village of Camden in 1842. Undated, unsigned.
  • Source
    Purchased from 69 John St Fine Art Specialists, May 2014
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Creator died before 1955
    Please acknowledge: : Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
  • Description source

    Titled from 'Thomas Woore rough sketch book, 1834-1869'. Sketches no. 25 and no. 26.
  • General note

    While the drawings are not signed or dated, they closely relate to two pencil sketches in an album, recorded in a microfilm of 'Thomas Woore rough sketch book, 1834-1869', which is held in the Mitchell Library at MAV/FM4/10954. This album had been given to Woore's daughter, the mother of T.W.F. Bushby. The titles of the drawings come from this album.
    Sketch no 25. Titled bottom right, 'Camden village, Sydney in 1842', Kirkham windmill and the Cowpastures are titled on the drawing.
    Sketch no 26. Titled bottom right, 'Bridge and village of Camden in 1842'. Thompsons Mill is titled on the drawing.

    The artist of 'Bridge & Village of Camden in 1842' is identified in the Sydney Morning Herald dated June 10, 1933, p.9. The article and image states that the drawing was then in the possession of T.W.F. Busby, who was Woore's grandson.

    Referenced in Trove:
    1933 'ST. JOHN'S, CAMDEN.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 10 June, p. 9, viewed 3 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article16978921
    Digital order no:Album ID : 1323834
  • Date note

    Undated.
  • Creator/Author/Artist
  • Name
  • Subject
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Open Rosetta viewer

View Media Files

2.

Share this result by email