Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5

Details



Print
982594
  • Title
    [View of Macquarie Place, Sydney, 185-?]
  • Call number
    SV/237
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    185-?
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    982594
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    1 drawing - 17.5 x 32.5 cm, in mount 31.5 x 47 cm. - pen and ink with grey wash
  • ADMINISTRATIVE/ BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY

    From as early as 1792 a triangular piece of ground adjacent to the Governor’s Domain was evident. In 1810 Governor Macquarie formally established the area as open space, named it Macquarie Place, and had the area delineated by a wall. The Obelisk, designed by Francis Greenway and constructed in 1818, was located in the centre of the park and was used as the originating standard from which roads in the colony were measured.

    By the early 1830s Macquarie Place had lost its role as a centre of mercantile activity. It became a ‘street of hotels, boarding houses and sundry occupancies’. By the late 1840s most of Circular Quay and Castlereagh St north (later Loftus Street) had been formed.
    By 1855 the completion of the Quay was ushering in a period of development in the area. The developments resulted in the opening of a number of businesses and offices, of which some are depicted in this drawing.

    References:
    A History of The Macquarie Obelisk, Macquarie Place, Sydney / Sue Rosen. Sydney : Sue Rosen & Associates, 1996.
  • Scope and Content
    Pen, black ink and grey wash drawing. The view is westward of Macquarie Place with The Obelisk in front of a row of buildings. Figures of people and horses and carts are depicted in front of the buildings. In the background is an outline of the township, including the flagpoles of Observatory Hill, and the The National Art School and The Ship and Mermaid Hotel, which the artist has identified.

    The key to the drawing at lower centre identifies the offices and businesses left to right in the foreground of the picture. These include the Prussian & Hanseatic Consulates; Marine Assurance Office; Smith, Campbell & Co.; Broussouze & Co. Wine Merchants; Custom House Hotel, George Pike; J. L. Travers; E. M. Paul; G. S. Leathes Stores; Grieves & Son; Beit & Son; Royal Admiral Hotel, William Pilford; and Andrew Torning, plumber, painter & glazier.
  • Source
    Purchased from Harbeck Rare Books, July 2012.
  • Access Conditions

    Access to this pictures collection via appointment only. Please submit your request through Ask a Librarian
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Creator died before 1955.
    Please acknowledge: : Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
  • General note

    Digital order no:a7123001
  • Signatures / Inscriptions

    Inscribed in pencil at upper left: "Mr Parkin".
    Inscribed on verso: "Mrs Parkin" and "Wm. Pelford".
  • Subject
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Open Rosetta viewer

View Media Files

  • Browse collection hierarchy
  • Manuscript Index
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Share this result by email