Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5
We have released a preview of our new catalogue which is ready for your testing and feedback. Start exploring now ›

Details



Print
867088
  • Title
    Architectural drawings, 1896-1982 / Morrow & Gordon
  • Creator
  • Call number
    PXD 529
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    1896-1982
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    867088
  • Issue Copy
    Partially Microfilmed : CY 3369 (ff. 4 - 862)
    Partially Microfilmed : CY 3370 (ff. 863 - 1481)
  • Physical Description
    13270 architectural drawings - various sizes
  • ADMINISTRATIVE/ BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY

    The firm was originally founded by David Thomas Morrow (1871-1935) and William de Putron (1872-1925). Morrow and de Putron had formed a short-lived practice in 1890-92, de Putron going on to become chief draughtsman for Robertson and Marks. Morrow started his own practice in Newtown in 1897 and de Putron joined him in 1909, the partnership becoming D.T. Morrow and de Putron. They soon had a thriving architectural practice, notable for the substantial number of large commercial clients. These included Soul Pattinson, Grace Brothers, Anthony Hordern and John McGrath Motors. In 1921 Percy James Gordon (1892-1992) was accepted as a junior partner and the firm became Morrow, de Putron and Gordon. With the departure of de Putron in 1925 the firm became Morrow and Gordon. After Morrow resigned in 1932 Gordon became the senior partner, but the firm continued under the same name until 1992. P.J. Gordon was president of the NSW chapter of the RAIA from 1944 to 1946.

    Notable commercial buildings designed by the firm include the Grace Building, AWA Building, Grace Brothers Broadway store and the Federal Mutual Chambers. Domestic commissions include Babworth House at Darling Point for Samuel Horden and Hopewood House, also at Darling Point for Lebbeus Horden. Reference: Decoration and Glass, March 1936, Vol 1, No 11, Murray K J Publishing Co, Sydney, p 47-48.
  • Scope and Content
    This collection of architectural drawings includes commercial and industrial buildings, residences, schools, churches, and clubs, in Sydney and suburbs, and NSW. Notable buildings include Grace Brothers Emporium on Broadway, AWA Building, and the Grace Building on the corner of York, King and Clarence Streets.

    It also includes work by the following architects; AB Hoile, John E Brown, Burcham Clamp & MacKeller, Moore & Dyer, Courtaulds Limited, Rudder Littlemore & Rudder, Victor Gruen, Ian McKay, Alexander, Kann, Finch & Associates Bowe & Burrows, Peter Swann & Holt, Richard E Apperly, David Hollander, John James, Robertson & Marks, Downy Sodersten & Stokes, Hancock Courtney & Renfree, Mugdan & Hadley, Crooks Michel Peacock & Stewart, Brewster Murray & Partners, Payne & Hunt, Minnett Cullis Hill Petersen & Powell, Berg & Alexandra, Frank Kolos & JH Bryant, Stossel & Associates, Towell Ripon & Associates, Stanley McConnell & Associates, BE Sabolch, Grahame Mooney, Kann Finch & Partners, E Barker, Stephenson & Turner, John Reid, George Coleman, Peddle Thorp & Walker, Kent & Massie, H & E Sidgreaves and Edwin R Orchard

    Contents listed in typescript guide available by consultation at Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales.
  • Source
    Presented by Morrow & Gordon, 1984
  • Copying Conditions
    Copyright holder:: Mr Ron Gordon
  • Finding Aids
    Contents list available in the Mitchell Library Reading Room
  • Description source

    Information transferred from Pictures Card Catalogue as part of the eRecords Project, 2008-2009.
  • Subject
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Browse collection hierarchy
  • Manuscript Index
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Share this result by email