Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5


  • Title
    Letter from Charles R. Siddins to H.F. Norrie, undated, with newscutting, 1857
  • Creator
  • Call number
    MLMSS 7560
  • Level of description
  • Date

    undated, 1857
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
  • Physical Description
    1 folder - 0.01 Meters
    Textual Records - (manuscript)

    Richard Siddins, ca. 1770-1846, was a master mariner, pilot and lighthouse keeper. After a career as master of the 'Campbell Macquarie' and other ships, he became a Port Jackson pilot and eventually settled at Watson's Bay. He became superintendent of the South Head lighthouse in 1832.
    Harold F. Norrie was a public servant who held several posts including Secretary of the Sydney Harbour Trust and commissioner of the South Head Trust. He was an alderman of Vaucluse Council for eight years.
  • Scope and Content
    Letter from Charles R. Siddons concerning the career of his grandfather, Captain Richard Siddons, and his father Joseph Siddins. The letter states that Captain Siddins built the home which later became the Greenwich Pier or Vaucluse Hotel. His son Joseph succeeded him as superintendent of the South Head lighthouse. Also included is a newscutting of the poem 'The Wreck of the Dunbar' by George Ferris Pickering, which features the role of Joseph Siddins' dog in the discovery of the shipwreck.
  • Access Conditions

    This material is held offsite and can take up to four days to retrieve.
  • General note

    Further information about Richard Siddins can be found in 'Richard Siddins of Port Jackson' by Lyndon Rose, 1984 (Mitchell Library location 382.0924/S568.2/1) and Australian Dictionary of Biography vol.2
  • Creator/Author/Artist
  • Name
  • Place
  • Browse collection hierarchy
  • Manuscript Index
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Share this result by email