Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5

Details



Print
442017
  • Title
    [Emu Hall, Penrith], 1866 / painted by Joseph Fowles
  • Creator
  • Call number
    ML 1009
    Status: On display – Paintings from the Collection, Room 1, West Wall, no. 17
  • Level of description
    Collection
  • Date

    1866
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    442017
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    1 painting - 34 x 51 cm. incl. frame - oil on canvas, plantation timber frame with gilt front, glass fronted
  • Source
    Purchased June 1990 Pic.Acc.6927
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Artist died before 1955.
  • General note

    Untitled. Titled from information provided by the former owner, a descendant of JT Ryan who built Emu Hall, c.1850s
    Further notes on Emu Hall are filed at PXn 763
    Reframed 2001-2
    Illegible inscription on back of stretcher, upper centre
    The foreground figures appear to have been added over a dry layer of paint; the mounted figures resemble J.Fowles, Robert Fitzgerald and Lucy Fitzgerald, 1864. Cf. copies at P1/F
    The original was loaned for copying by Penny Sharp, 1990, prior to acquisition by the Library.
    Emu Hall was a substantial residence built between 1845-54 by James Tobias Ryan (1818-99) on the banks of the Nepean River. Ryan was a successful businessman and grazier. He represented the Nepean district in the Legislative Assembly for 14 years. A company he managed built the bridge which can be seen in the background of the painting. Source: ML Curator of Pictures, 1990
    Digital order no:a128971
  • Signatures / Inscriptions

    J. Fowles / 1866 -- painted at lower left
  • Subject
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Exhibited in

View Media Files

2.

  • Browse collection hierarchy
  • Manuscript Index
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • F
  • G
  • H
  • I
  • J
  • K
  • L
  • M
  • N
  • O
  • P
  • Q
  • R
  • S
  • T
  • U
  • V
  • W
  • X
  • Y
  • Z

Share this result by email