Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5

Details



Print
421516
  • Title
    Statue of Capt. Cook standing in front of Capt. Thos. Watson's home at Randwick, N.S.W. ...
  • Call number
    SPF/1057
  • Level of description
    item
  • Date

    undated [after 1874]
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    421516
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    Photographs - 22.8 x 18 cm. - albumen photoprint
  • Source
    Presented Jan 1931 Transfer from Manuscripts Section Ac 50/2
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Created before 1955
  • General note

    Statue erected in 1874 at the corner of Belmore Road & Avoca Street, Randwick. This may be the first statue erected in New South Wales to Cook. The building behind, the private residence of Captain Watson dates possibly from the 1830s and was the Star and Garter Hotel until 1860s.
    References:
    Australian Heritage Commission : Register of the National Estate database, Aug 2002
    Randwick 1859-1976 / by W.B. Lynch and F.A. Larcombe. Sydney : Oswald Ziegler Publications for the Council of the Municipality of Randwick, 1976 (p.130)
    Digital order no:a325057
    This item has been catalogued and digitised under a project funded and supported by the State Library of New South Wales Foundation, 2001.
  • Signatures / Inscriptions

    Title continues in ink on reverse: ... The statue was carved at the expense of Capt. Watson from Pyrmont sandstone by Mr McGill / Presented by W.H. Brown Esq., 32 Cook St., Randwick, 29 Jan /31
  • Name
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Open Rosetta viewer

View Media Files

Share this result by email