Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5

Details



Print
421108
  • Title
    No.4 Government House and Fort Macquarie Sydney N.S.W. from the Botanical Gardens, 1846 / painted by G. E. P. [Peacock]
  • Creator
  • Call number
    DG 336
    Status: On display – Paintings from the Collection, Room 1, East Wall, no. 88
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    1846
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    421108
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    1 painting - 15.3 x 20.7 cm. - oil on board
  • Scope and Content
    This view looks back from the eastern point of Farm Cove to Government House and Fort Macquarie (the site of the Sydney Opera House). The lushness of the Gardens is emphasised by the eclectic array of exotic and indigenous plants (such as the Gymea lily) in the foreground.
  • Source
    Presented by Sir William Dixson, 1929
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Creator died before 1955
    Please acknowledge: : Dixson Galleries, State Library of New South Wales
  • General note

    Reference: George Edwards Peacock exhibition catalogue / State Library of New South Wales, 2002.
    Part of a set of six small paintings and one larger one (DG 332-DG 338). Extract from sales catalogue pasted on stretcher of the larger painting (DG 332) says that the six small paintings by Peacock were formerly the property of Thomas Arnold Wise and that the seven were believed to have been brought to England by Sir W. Manning, Chief Justice of N.S.W. or by Mr Justice Wise.
    Painting was re-framed with the generous support of the State Library of New South Wales Foundation, 2001-2002.
    Digital order no:a128056
  • Signatures / Inscriptions

    Titled, signed & dated "G.E.P. 1846" -- on label on reverse
  • Subject
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Exhibited in
  • Open Rosetta viewer

View Media Files

Share this result by email