Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5
We have released a preview of our new catalogue which is ready for your testing and feedback. Start exploring now ›

Details



Print
421075
  • Title
    View of old Government House - Sydney - N.S.W. as it appeared when vacated by Sir George Gipps in 1845 / painted by G. E. Peacock
  • Creator
  • Call number
    ML 658
    Status: On display – Paintings from the Collection, Room 1, West Wall, no. 2
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Date

    1845
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    421075
  • Issue Copy
    Digitised
  • Physical Description
    1 painting - oil on board - approx. 17 x 23 cm.
  • Scope and Content
    This view shows First Government House, on the corner of Bridge and Philip Street (now the site of the Museum of Sydney), in 1845, just prior to its demolition. In the distance can be seen the square tower of the Scots Church, the round tower of St. Phillip's Church and the gothic designed St. Patrick's Catholic Church - lining what is now Grosvenor Street. The camels are two of three purchased by Governor Gipps in 1842 as an experiment in the introduction of camels to the colony. The New South Wales Legislative Council voted 225 pounds for the purchase and the camels were placed on view in the Domain.
  • Source
    Purchased 1937
  • Copying Conditions
    Out of copyright: Creator died before 1955
    Please acknowledge: : Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
  • General note

    Reference: George Edwards Peacock exhibition catalogue. State Library of New South Wales, 2002
    Digital order no:a128029
  • Signatures / Inscriptions

    Titled, signed and dated "G.E. Peacock 1845" -- on label on reverse
  • Topic
  • Place
  • Exhibited in
  • Open Rosetta viewer

View Media Files

Share this result by email