Manuscripts, oral history and pictures catalogue
Adlib Internet Server 5

Details



Print
845470
  • Title
    Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company Limited records and pictorial material, 1876-1977, together with records of Carey, Gilles and Company, 1873-1877
  • Creator
  • Level of description
    Collection
  • Date

    1868-1977
  • Type of material
  • Reference code
    845470
  • Physical Description
    Textual Records - manuscript and printed
    Clippings
    Posters
    Sound Recordings
    Photographs
  • ADMINISTRATIVE/ BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY

    The Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company Limited, formed under this name in 1907, grew out of a series of earlier companies. Excursion steamers ran to Manly in the 1850s and regular ferry services catering for residents began when real estate developer Henry Gilbert Smith established a regular ferry service in 1859. Succeeding operators included Thomas Heselton. In early 1875 the service was taken over by John Randal Carey, of Carey, Gilles and Company, auctioneers. In 1876 he joined with others to form the Port Jackson Steam Boat Company which was incorporated in January 1877. In 1881 it was reincorporated as Port Jackson Steamship Company and was opened to public shareholding.

    The company faced tough times during the 1890s depression and, in a dispute with Manly Council in 1893, lost its access to the main Manly wharf. In the same year a group of disgruntled Manly residents formed the Manly Co-operative Steam Ferry Company Limited. The rival operators engaged in a fare cutting war until the new co-operative was absorbed by the Port Jackson company in May 1896. The name was changed to the Port Jackson Co-operative Steamship Company Limited. In August 1907 the company was reincorporated as Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company Limited. Those who held debentures in the co-operative were offered shares in the new company.

    From 1951 to 1974 the Port Jackson company managed, through a subsidiary, the operation of former rival Sydney Ferries Limited after that company was taken over by the New South Wales government. The company was acquired by Brambles in 1972. In 1974 it was taken over by the NSW government.

    A history of the company can be found in the thesis by Anthony M Prescott, The Manly Ferry: a History of the Service and its Operators, 1854-1974 (located at MLMSS 5038).
  • Scope and Content
    SERIES 01
    Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company Limited records, 1876-1977, together with records of Carey, Gilles and Company, 1873-1877, and unidentified ledger, 1868-1874

    SERIES 02
    Port Jackson and Manly Steamship Company Limited pictorial material
  • Source
    Transferred from Fisher Library, University of Sydney, in 1990. Records originally collected by the NSW Branch of the Business Archives Council of Australia.
  • General note

    Manly, Warringah and Pittwater Historical Society also hold records of this company.

Share this result by email